Chicken Dum Biryani
6 (400 gm) chicken thighs (boneless)
500 gm rice (long grain, basmati rice)
For the Marinade:
A pinch of salt
1 tsp white pepper
Juice of 1/2 lemon
For the Masala:
2 tsp garlic paste
1 cup onion, sliced
1 tsp ginger paste
A small piece of cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1/2 Tbsp desi ghee
1 tsp yellow chilli powder
2 tsp fennel or saunf powder
1 cup yoghurt
Salt to taste
2 cups water
For the Finishing spices:
1/2 tsp fennel powder
1 tsp green cardamom powder
1/2 cup cream
For the rice:
2 green chillies, sliced
3 tsp rose water
For the Jhol:
1.Wash and soak rice in water for 15-20 minutes.
2.Cut the chicken into even-sized pieces.
3.Put all the marinade ingredients in a bowl and coat the chicken with it and keep it to marinate for 15 minutes.
4.As the chicken is kept for marination till that time heat some ghee in a pan and add the whole spices for the masala with ginger garlic paste. As the spices turn slightly brown add onions into it.
5.On slow heat cook the onions partially and ensure that they do not change their color. If the heat gets too high to handle, put a little bit of water.
6.Once the onions are cooked properly and it changes its color, add the yoghurt.
- Add yellow chilli powder and cook it on low heat for 1 minute then add chicken, saunf powder and salt and mix it well.
8.Add some water and let the chicken partially cook for 10-12 minutes. Remove it from heat once it is done and let it cool. Pick out the pieces of chicken and strain the gravy over them.
- Add the finishing spices to the ‘jhol’ (the chicken and liquid), then add the cream to it. This is the jhol or the infusion in which the rice will be cooked. Keep this aside.
For the rice:
1.Heat some water in a pan and add salt and rose water to it.
2.Add rice as soon as the water comes to boil, cook it partially and keep aside.
3.Take another pan, heat half of the jhol made earlier with all the chicken pieces till it boils and add half of the rice to it.
- Check seasoning before adding rice after which you would not be able to adjust it.
5.In the jhol add the rice and sprinkle some ginger juliennes and sliced green chillies.
- Add the other half of the rice and jhol and let it cook on a low heat (on dum, in its own heat) and cover it with foil for 10 minutes so that the water evaporates and chicken and rice are fully cooked).
7. Sprinkle some rose water on it and serve hot.